miracle metal titanium?

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:09:01 -0800

I stand corrected.  In a previous post I made the assumption that
titanium was titanium, but a bit of research has shown me that this is
not so.  Apparently, pure titanium is actually quite soft.  However, it
is rarely used in its chemically pure form.  Its alloys with small
amounts of aluminum and vanadium and sometimes tin yield a metal which
is very hard and has a high tensile strength.  (This is probably the
stuff that was dulling my hack saw blades!)

So I guess the statement that the bridge pins (or anything else in a
piano) are made of titanium doesn't really say very much in regards to
strength, unless the alloy is known (eg. Ti-6/6/2: aircraft grade).

As Ron Nossaman said, there seems to be certain fascination for
titanium going about, and perhaps one can even speak of a fad.  But who
knows where it will be used in pianos of the future, and to what
effect?  Surely the combination of its physical and chemical
properties: strength, non-corroding and low weight have appeal for use
in certain applications.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440