Evidence of overlacquered hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:46:45 -0700

I'm not talking about the quality of the hammer, I'm talking about the
density (and weight).  Nor am I talking about what can be done in terms
of overdriving a soundboard, but what tends to happen.  A soft light
hammer can, of course, be manipulated by hardening to overdrive a
soundboard, but put a light Ronsen Bacon felt hammer on that old
Chickering quarter grand and a Renner Wurzen designed for a Hamburg
Steinway and then tell me that the Wurzen isn't overdriving that board
no matter how much needling you do or that the Ronsen hammer will keep
things under control much more easily.

This may be an extreme example but similar examples abound.  Many, if
not most, of the pianos out there have soundboards that, due to age or
method of manufacture, are easily overdriven, and I'm talking about
Steinway, Bechstein, Mason Hamlin, and many other "quality" pianos.  I
think McMorrow's ideas often work because of this.  A lighter hammer
(and softer in my opinion) will sound better on a soundboard that has
long ago moved along the line from controlled attack, long sustain to
uncontrolled attack, short sustain and, conversely, a denser hammer (to
a point) will sound better on a piano that has controlled the impedance
problems and delivered a stiff but responsive assembly--one that may
need, or certainly tolerate, being driven harder.

And while I agree that terminations are best dealt with at the point of
termination, a softer hammer can sometimes cause less extrusion of the
string and mitigate termination problems that might not be able to be
addressed without restringing or redesign.

The bottom line is that you can't force quality tone into a piano by
using a so-called "quality" hammer (which is not to disparage Ronsen
hammers, they are quality hammers too) if it isn't there to begin with.
All you can really do is to get the best the piano has to offer.
Frequently that necessitates using a hammer that is softer than you
might ordinarily use and building up the density just short of the point
where the piano can handle it.  But to each his own, that's why they
make chocolate and vanilla.