Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:25:00 +0100

David Love wrote:

>There are a number of factors that should come into play when choosing a
>hammer for a particular piano.  The condition of the belly is a crucial
>one that is often neglected.  People tend to pick a single type of
>hammer because that is what they are familiar with or because they like
>the supplier, the price or the name.  My experience suggests that
>certain hammers are simply inappropriate for certain pianos.  An old
>tired soundboard, for example, will not benefit from a very hard pressed
>and/or heavy hammer that requires a lot of needling.

If I understand this correctly, I can only say that my experience does
not concur.  I have never run into a situation where a soundboard did
not respond well to high quality hammers of the sort that need needling.
Nor can I say I've ever run into a piano whoes sounboard could be
overdriven by one type of hammer and not another. True enough hammers
can be too massive, but there is nothing to suggest that this can over
drive a panel IMHO. At some point the hammer simply can not be made to
transfer any more energy to the panel to begin with due to action
compliance issues. I suspect in this that Ed McMorrow is far more
correct then wrong in this regard when he maintains that much lighter
hammers can do the same job as heavier ones exactly because of this
compliance issue, and because they are more easily accelerated to
maximum velocity.

I also have to raise the point that very much has been made by various
contributers arguing in support of the lacquer technique that it makes
no difference to begin with from an acoustic point of view which type of
hammer is used.  If that is so then the above is in confict and one or
the other must simply give way to the real truth of the matter...
whatever that be. Said another way... the type of hammer used can not on
the one hand be so inconsequential and then on the other hand cause a
soundboard to go into overdrive.

Thirdly... I would point out that I do not subscribe to useing  ... to
quote "very hard pressed and/or heavy hammer that requires a lot of
needling"

I use hammers that are moderate weighted hammers appropriatly pressed so
that a reasonable amount of needling results in a concentration of
energy at the striking point and a natural felt resiliancy at the level
I choose

I also believe that problems with terminations are delt with from the
standpoint of the termination itself being addressed, not trying to
select a set of hammers that allows one to avoid bettering such problems.

All this said... I have to repeat what I have said many times.  Those
whose tastes lead them to prefer the different sound characteristics
that lacquered hammers neccessarilly impart are valuable assets to the
general diversity of our buisness.... especially those few who are true
masters of the technique. That I personally do not find the sound of
said hammers appealing is inconsequential in that regard.

Cheers
RicB