Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:34:43 +0100

Dont know what to say David.  Your descriptions simply do not match my
experience. I have never seen a piano soundboard being overdriven by too
heavy a hammer.  That is to say, any soundboard that begins to distort
is wrecked from the get go and said piano doesnt really qualify for the
expensive proceedure a change of hammers really is.  There are always
extreme exceptions to any rule of course.

In any case... I can guarrantee that any Renner Wurzen made for a
Steinway D or any other piano, properly voiced and treated upon install,
will not overdrive any soundboard in a condition that justifies the
expense of a hammer replacement to begin with.

Interesting you should mention  the Chickering Quarter Grand,  I have
two under my care... both with SW 8 curves on them... not exactly light
weights.. Renner hammers on one, Abels on another... all done before I
knew about Wurzens... and there simply is no hint of the condition you
describe. These hammers are quite a bit denser then comparable weighted
Wurzens are.

I've always been skeptical to the soundboard overdrive hypotheses out
there, mainly because its not the hammers that drive the board... its
the strings.  When someone shows... (as in measures not as in muses)
that there is a clear connection between hammer size (within reasonable
parameters) and the amount of string energy needed to overdrive a
soundboard... I'll get interested.

String terminations is to my mind of thinking a far more likely place to
look for distortion causes. A board that makes distortion noises simply
needs replacement, and quite likely will display that need in more ways
then one.

BTJMVAWDHTAOE  :)

Cheers
RicB