Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:41:12 -0500

So what does one do to help it, drench with acetone?  I must admit, I
haven't tried that yet.

What the heck, even though it's polically incorrect and 9 or ten years ago I
was told I was clogging up the hammers, here's what I've done with hammers
with too much lacquer and when needling or whatever doesn't do the trick.
I've had a lot of experience with this, because *every* Steinway at IWU
(where I was on staff)--except a new D--had been over-lacquered and since I
had no parts budget, I had to do something.

I use a glass syringe (I batted my eye-lashes at the pharmacist 22 1/2 years
ago to get it without a prescription) and needle (of course).  Mix 8 parts
alcohol and one part fabric softener (yeah, yeah, I've heard what some folks
think of fabric softener, but it works).  Carefully, one drop at a time--and
you may only need one drop--on the place that has the lacquer, or any other
place that you want to soften up.   It works and it can sound great.   The
nice thing about the syringe is it's easier to control where the stuff goes
and with careful use, one can control the size of the drop.  If the sound
gets brought down too much, do whatever you'd do to brighten it up again
(filing, iron, etc.).

There you have it.

Barbara Richmond