Evidence of overlacquered hammers

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:15:32 -0400

Barbara, we have a set of hammers on a 9' Kawai EX that is just RUINED from
over lacquering, to the point where you can't even get the tone even'ed out.
since we already have a new set of hammers on order for this monster (a term
of endearment, i assure you), i'm going to give this technique a try when i
have time. we did experiment with soaking one of the hammers in lacquer
thinner, then beating it to death on a clean table. it definitely changed
the tone, but it's still got this underlying wonky harshness i can't
describe too well. haven't had the time to try needling the one we treated.
i'm lucky to actually have this opportunity to see what works and what
doesn't when it comes to japanese hammers.

-ilex