your 'thingee'

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:25:56 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/04 9:47:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,=20
antares@euronet.nl writes:

> On 27-sep-04, at 18:20, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:
>=20
> > List,
> >
> > I've been having trouble with my handheld lately.  It hasn't been=20
> > responding to screen taps properly, no matter how many times I try to=20
> > realign the screen.  I called IPAQ tech support and they suggested=20
> > soft reset(which I'd already tried and which didn't work), then hard=20
> > reset.  That killed it, because the screen would still not align, and=20
> > the unit was stuck in that mode....:-(  Back to the repair shop it=20
> > goes, and along with it go Tunelab, Mapopolis, and my calendar.
> >
> > Back to tuning fork, Thomas brothers, and pencil and paper.  Sure am=20
> > glad I developed my aural tuning skills.  The one thing I'll really=20
> > miss is the Pitch Raise function of Tunelab.  Should be an interesting=20
> > couple of weeks.
> >
> > Reliance on technology has it's own set of problems, doesn't it???
> >
> > Dave Stahl
>=20
>=20
> The positive side of this story Dave, is that you will notice what a=20
> piece of aural cake tuning actually is.
> First of all, your ears have been accustomed to a very good tuning,=20
> your tuning technique is better than ever, and it will take you 5=20
> minutes of tuning to realize that aural tuning can be a lot of fun, if=20
> only to sharpen your non-electronic skills.
> By the time your 'thingee' (as Jim used to say, what happened to him=20
> btw?) is back, you'll be thanking your personal deities on your bare=20
> wobblies for zee moderrn tajmes.
>=20
> Happy tuning to you!
>=20
> and cheers!
>=20
> Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Andre,

Truth be told, today was a kind of liberating experience.  I often tune=20
strictly aurally because I like to be able to do it for aforementioned reaso=
ns.  I=20
even did a couple of pitch raises today, and they came out surprisingly good=
.

The handheld is a handy tool, and it can make life easier, but it's nice to=20
know that it isn't an absolute necessity.  A relief, actually.  The thing I=20
miss most is the calendar.  My handwriting sucks.

Dave Stahl