Practicing on a not so good piano: was RE: tax deductions?

Ian idk@operamail.com
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 09:44:28 -0500

Greetings,

I have been following this with some interest as I was one who learned on a not so good piano. I am now thankful that my parents did buy what they could afford at the time otherwise I would not have enjoyed the last 32 years in the music industry.

After I had been learning for about one year I wanted to give up. This was because I could not play pianissimo. It was only later when I began playing better quality pianos that I realised that it was the piano, not me, which was incapable of playing quietly. Fortunately, my mother said "We paid 25 pounds (in Australia at the time) for a piano for you to learn on and so you will keep taking lessons till you finish school". I did and hated it. After leaving school I started playing better quality pianos and have loved it ever since. My technique started improving, 10 years after it should have. If I could have learned the proper control of dynamics earlier I would have enjoyed it more and would be a much better player today.

Not all people can afford a high quality piano. However, I strongly believe that all people should play on the best instrument that they can. I have yet to meet anybody who has complained about quality. As technicians, we should do the best work which we can to make our customers piano the best instrument that it can be. (I realise that this is restricted by practicalities such as how much they are prepared, or able, to spend.)

I am never embarrased about explaining that a piano may have great sentimental piano but is limited as a musical instrument.

In adition to this, I have taught piano for over twenty years and have seen so many students progress so much quicker after getting rid of their "student" or "beginner" piano and getting a good quality instrument. One can play better on a better instrument.

The piano is a tool for making music. How many technicians would claim that they could tune, or repair, or recondition a piano better if they were using poor tools? Or would recommend that a student piano tech should use inferior tools so that they can learn better?

The best piano for someone is the best piano that they can get.

Ian Fairweather