Practicing on a nice piano

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:12:39 -0700 (PDT)

I think that we should remember what the average instrument was like when the piano was at its peak of popularity in our society: 1890-1930. The average instrument was a 56" upright with softer hammers than what is typical today. Those same pianos today would sell for $10,000-35,000 depending on quality level.

Compare that with an average piano of today: a 40-48" Asian upright with "Royal George" hammers. Its a wonder that anyone can stay interested in playing! Combine that with the fact the people compare themselves to the vast quantity of recorded music and you have even more reasons to get discouraged.

Many people in our society have lost touch with what quality and good taste are in pianos. I see it as part of my mission to help people rediscover what good piano tone is. Of course I'm still learning what it is myself as well : ).

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA