Practicing on a nice piano

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:22:43 -0400

now waitaminute - i'm not sure exactly how this makes it a wonder anyone can
stay interested in playing, especially when you consider price vs.
inflation/economy. those 40-48" asian uprights with royal george hammers are
better compared to the floppy little spinets slightly after the peak of our
time. many consoles and uprights are far more consistent and create a lot
more sound, hence imho encouraging people to play, as it's easier and feels
better to sit at such an instrument. to compare those little consoles to a
56" upright that probably couldn't be afforded by many families of the time
(hence, the appearance of the spinet - GREAT), middle to lower class incomes
are now able to afford a far more reasonable instrument for their young
pianists that is at least an improvement on grandma's old Howard or Winter
or whatever.

colour me ignorant, but what exactly is supposed to be wrong with royal
george? my curiosity is now officially piqued.

as far as quality and good taste are concerned, you're also looking at a
whole slew of new factors that have come into the picture with new
technology. are you going to tell me that an ABS action is poor quality and
taste compared to the dilapidated steinway upright action i am currently
attempting to piece back together because the glue for the jacks/whippens
has completely deteriorated? that's apples and oranges. but "wood is better"
i suppose... :/

just curious, since the topic finally started to come back around to tech
stuff ;)
-ilex