Octave Tuning

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:48:07

Hi David,

I'm not a scientist, far from it. I just have an enquiring mind.

Proof of greater sustain would be a set ears and a stop watch. It should be
done on a double blind basis so that the person listening has *no* idea
which unison is the "totally pure" one. It should also be done with two
sessions so that the "totally pure" unison is alternated with the "less
than perfect". Each note should be measured for sustain ten times and the
"high number" and the "low number" should be thrown out--and the remaining
results should be averaged.

Proof of greater resonance I'm open to suggestions on. I'm not entirely
sure what you mean by resonance. I do know that wider octaves in the treble
(yes I know we were talking about unisons) tend to give a piano a brighter
sound, and that very narrow ones at the top end tend to give the piano a
rather sweet tender sound. All of this is "subjective".

I'd still like your views on overcoming the coupling effect on unisons.

I am certain that, atleast where I live, unisons are rather fragile so I
always tune as pure as I can.

At 08:19 PM 23/09/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi, Don---sorry, Mr. Scientist <g>. I meant my own hearing, every time I
>tune a piano, hearing the resonance increase when the unison is stood stock
>still---pretty much every time, every note; more prominent in the
>treble---or at least easier for me to hear---but hearable throughout the
>piano.
>
>What would proof look like?
>
>Regards,
>
>David Andersen