Was tax deductions

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

You certainly do not have to be a player to be a most excellent tuner. You also don't have to be player to restring pianos, or replace a pinblock.

However, to be the best voicer, regulator, and all-around piano-fiddler, that you can be you should experience the piano as a player. Is it absolutely necessary? Of course not. But if you do not play, I feel you are missing out on a powerful diagnostic tool (and a helluva good time too!)

Alan Forsyth <alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
Cy Shuster wrote;

"Not every jet engine mechanic can fly, nor can every pilot maintain a jet engine.  Most likely neither own their own jet, yet they are around them every day, and typically see many different types of jets. "

You raise some moot points here. I always considered that a piano tuner who does not play the piano would not be much good as a tuner. There are plenty of tooners I know of who do not actually play. But then that very same jet engine mechanic that you mention, not only doesn't have a plane, but most likely can't fly one either.

Does a surgeon or undertaker have a few bodies at home to practise on?

Just a thought.

AF

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service