Laptops vs ETD's

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:05:19 -0400

Yes, TuneLab runs fine on a desktop; go ahead and try it.

I use a laptop all the time, because that's the only PC I have.  It's fine
for grands (sits on the struts), but I often run out of room for it with
uprights (I'm thinking about bringing a music stand with me).

Sure, the pocket PCs are convenient, but the displays are a lot smaller,
too.  TuneLab in particular shows a lot of info at once.  Check out the
screenshots at http://www.tunelab-world.com to see the difference.

For example, one of the biggest timesavers for me is using the spectrum
display for pitch raises.  I don't use any mutes, because you can see the
peaks for each string separately, and just crank 'em close (more than one
lever movement is fine tuning, right, Paul C.? :-).  Don't know if you can
do that with the pocket versions.

Of course, the pocket option is much cheaper (hardware + software)... but
TuneLab will run on very old laptops, too, so you might find a deal...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV