" Defective Dehumidifier Kills Bjur !!!" ( WARNING !!!)

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:36:05 -0700 (PDT)

Oh crud,
    I got a terrific deal on a pretty well restored
Bjur grand ( 1927-- and NOT Brambach, by the way! ) A
real, quality grand in EXCELLENT, super-clean, almost
odor-free shape with perfect board, bridges, lots of
bearing, etc..
     Wellllll.... I took a trip to Virginia, and due
to space constraints had to temporarily put it in a
damp ( 80% RH ) basement, so I threw a plastic drop
cloth over it, laid boards on the edges and put my
Kenmore dehumidifier under there, GENTLY turning  the
humidistat knob until it just clicked "on".
    Well, it ran for about 30 seconds and shut off,
but the digital hygrometer I also stuck under there
still read 78%, so I turned the knob just a little
more and went away.
    !!!! DISASTER !!!! The dehumidifier kept running
and the piano now has a crack in the board big enough
to drop a pencil through. Ugh.
  Just a warning to anyone who might be tempted to try
this at home.
     Schlump.

--- Conrad Hoffsommer <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>