customer call backs

Carol Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:52:53 -0400

Its called paying attention to detail.  Pianos don't
scheduling their tunings; their owners do!  If you want
to stay in business, you MUST contact your customers!
Next time you dread sitting down at the telephone,
think about how much you would dread a 9-5 job!!

It may be repulsive to call customers to maintain your
clients, but I find not eating or the ability to pay my
bills more so!  Most people expect to be reminded.  As
many have discovered, the percentages are not as pretty
as we might like, but 3 things are clear.  First, I
think those tuners who book the next appointment before
they leave, and follow it up with a reminder call two
weeks prior, are the most successful in booking
callbacks.  However, the reason I am self-employed is
that I want flexibility in my life so I have time to
deal with my family.  I would personally feel that
bookings 6 months in advance to be a ball and chain
around my ankle!  Therefore, I resort to scenarios 2
and 3.  Every month I send postcards to those due
tunings - somewhere between 70 and 100.  In the first
three days, about 10 people will call to schedule a
tuning.  I send postcards annually for 6 years, so I
would say about another 10 calls come in every month
that call about a postcard they received some time ago.
I am lucky that about 10 calls come in every month just
from referrals or the phone book - maybe more.  So
doing not much, enough work comes in most of the time
to not necessitate making phone calls myself.

However, I must confess, that if I DO sit down at the
phone, or hire someone else to do it for me, about 2 in
5 will schedule immediately.  This is very good, being
that the statistics show that about only 1 in 10
respond to cold calls.  With our national economy going
elsewhere, piano tunings are getting lower and lower on
the family budgets.  However, that same economy also
keeps families from traveling so much, so they stay
home and repair, play and tune their pianos!

It also brings in more income if you schedule
appointments during evenings and weekends when men are
home.  Usually routine tunings come out of household
budgets managed by women, and they have many, many
things that money must cover.  Men, on the other hand,
like to see things taken care of - especially if there
is something extra about the piano that is required.
They will usually spring for the cost of hammer
resurfacing, regulation, climate control systems, etc
out of THEIR money and not the household accounts.  I
also charge more for weekend and evening calls, so it
is a win-win proposition.

Just think of the telephone as your friend - all the
way to the bank!

Carol Beigel

 >I have been thinking about calling back customers and
reminding
> them to get their pianos tuned. I occasionally send
out reminder cards at the
> request of the customer, however, I find something
repulsive about calling to
> find/keep work
> .
>             I was just wondering how some of the
folks on this list handle
> keeping and developing steady customers. Are steady
regular customers
> something that will transpire over time, because the
customer will like the tuning I
> put on their piano, or is it something that I must
put effort into ie.