Octave Tuning

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:23:28 +0100

Matthew Todd wrote:

> Isn't the 10th (F3-A4) suppose beat maybe 1/2 a beat faster than the
> 3rd (F3-A3)?
>
> Matthew
>
> *//*

Supposed and supposed... Its only supposed to do that if thats what you
want it to do.  For the octave A3 A4 it is fairly common  to set the 6:3
octave pure, and that widens the 4:2 a bit.  0.5bps is a rule of thumbs
thats going to vary a bit from piano to piano.  My self I prefer the
best compromise between a 4:2 and a 6:3.  That seems to rather naturally
result when dropping the whole octaves tuning concept in favor of tuning
perfect 3:1 12ths.

For example  take D3 (3) and A4(1) as pure.  Now D3 (3) needs to beat
slightly narrow with A3 (2)  i.e. the 3:2 fith. That particular 5th is
in the range where 5ths are getting mighty slow... say 0,3.  So this
means that A3 (2) and A4 (1) will beat wide at that same rate.  Thats
not very much for the 2:1 octave A3-A4.  The result is a very slightly
wide 4:2 and very slightly narrow 6:3.

Baseing a <<temperament>> curve on  those three tones as anchors to
evenly space the remaining notes from D3 to A4 and tuning the whole
remainder of the treble as perfect 12ths to already tuned notes below
produces this result.

The bass tho... works really well with the best compromise between 6:3
and 4:2 octaves directly tuned as octave types.... at least thats my
experience. Getting both pairs to sound through very just like is a nice
effect.... regardless of higher coincident pairs beat rates IMHO.

Cheers
RicB