customer call backs

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:28:27 -0500

Great points, Carol!

Four years ago I started collecting email addresses from my clients. Lots of
people have them. I explain we like to send an email reminder as it is less
intrusive than a phone call, and they are all for it.

When I first started out, all I did was phone call reminders. It works
really well, but does take some work. I used a flat file database (several
different ones over the years, starting with SuperBase on a Commodore 64!).
When entering the customer's record I enter the date of the most recent
tuning and also the callback/reminder date (ex: 200410 for October of 2004),
When October rolls around, I print out all the records that are less than or
equal to 200410 sorted by zip code. This gives me everyone due for October
and all those overdue grouped together by neighborhood/city. Then I make my
calls with pen in hand. If they say call back in 4 months, I mark up the
printout for 200502. If they say, we'll call you when we are ready,
depending on their attitude/tone of voice/or my previous experience with
them I'll mark them up as due for 12-24 months from 200410. If they say call
back next month, I just leave it alone as I know it will automatically come
up on next month's list. Then before I print out next months callback list,
I update all the records using my marked up list.

After I started collecting email addresses I added sending the email
reminder. For those reminders I only choose the records that are due for
this month. I don't want to be sending emails every month and be a nuisance.
I extend an offer for a $4 discount if people set up their tuning by email.
And people really take advantage of it. I use Word to mail merge all the
personal details. Word allows you to merge to electronic mail.

About 3 years ago I started using post cards as well. For those records I
choose all those due for 200410, plus those overdue whose due months are
October or April (e.g., 10/04, 4/04, 10/03, 4/03, 10/02, 4/02, etc). This
strategy gives everyone overdue a postcard every six months. I include the
$4 discount offer on the postcard if they respond by email. Since I started
doing the postcards I've scheduled tunings for clients I hadn't heard from
for 5-10 years that I had written off. We must remember that lots of people
don't care that much about their pianos. But if they are reminded that it
has been many years they will go ahead and schedule.

The combination of email and postcard has also made the calling easier. Now
it doesn't hit people out of the blue. They've already been prepared.

For the postcard I use Word to mail merge again. On the stamp side I have
the customer specific message on one half, their mailing address on the
other half. On the flip side I have a general feel good message about how
great an in tune piano sounds with a grand piano graphic. Both sides are
printed on my laser printer on blank 4x6 cards. It is really easy.

Julie, if you wait for your phone to ring for all your appointments you will
starve. Nobody remembers when their piano was last tuned. Many people want
to keep their pianos properly maintained. You are doing them a service to
keep them reminded. And for those few who let you know in no uncertain terms
they absolutely don't want reminded, adjust your records accordingly.

If you need help with the mail merge, try using the Help feature first. Or
you can email me privately.

Blessings,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

Sample Email Message (personal details changed):

Hen & Yuli Chou
72 S Kings Ct
Terre Haute IN 47807

Hi Hen & Yuli,

It is time again for your piano to be tuned. By using this email to remind
you, we don't interrupt your dinner with a ringing telephone and it saves us
time trying to catch you at home.

Our records show that your piano was last tuned on 06/05/2001. As a special
incentive for you to take advantage of this reminder, we are offering $4 off
our normal tuning price if you respond within the next 30 days to schedule a
tuning appointment by email. The normal tuning price inside of Vigo County
is $75.00 and out of county it is $79.00.

Here is how it works: just click the reply button in your email reader and
tell us your preference for an appointment time, what day of the week and
whether you need a morning or an afternoon appointment. Try to give us at
least two options. We will then email you back with a firm appointment time.
If this is too high tech for you, call us the old-fashioned way at (812)
235-5272, or (800) 776-4912. Mention that you are responding to this email
alert to get your $4 discount.

Sample postcard: