Epoxy glue in Europe ?

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:18:52 +0200

Hi Ric.

---- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>

> Grin.... reminds me of a fellow tech here in Bergen who wanted to try
> epoxy fill of soundboard cracks.  He isnt always so clever at listening
> to or reading directions.

Could this be a disguised indirect attempt to cast doubt on my intelligence
?

> He used West System epoxy to do the job...
> but mixed it 50-50 instead of 5 to 1.

The Araldite I used was in the form of two syringues coupled with one common
push button.  Even without intelligence, that would have produced the right
mix, or do I miss something (again) ?  And they claimed for optimal adhesion
after 12 hours, foreseen ambiant temperature was above 0°C, which was about
half the time I waited and 20° below actual temperature in the place where
it happened.

> Restrung and put back together 6
> months later there was still gummy epoxy being pushed out and dripping
> down....  I am not sure whether or not he ever got around to redoing the
> job... he was a bit depressed about the whole thing... hehe..

I would not depress for such a reason.  I believe that making mistakes with
enthusiasm is a good way not only to learn the job, but also to understand
what it is all about (in the limits of course of my limited intelligence).
Probably longer process than just saying yes to the big chief, but possibly
healthier.
All this said with very due respect to those who don't make mistakes.

But this being said, I still didn't get what went wrong in my trial.

> Cheers
> RicB
> _____

Best regards.