Epoxy glue in Europe ?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:44:37 -0400

Back in the 70s when I graduated from fiberglass resin and hardener to West
System epoxy, on a number of occasions, when wanting to be sure the epoxy
got real hard, I used the "if a little hardener is good, then more hardener
is better" approach on a couple projects. I've actually burned skin off my
hand by adding too much hardener into a large batch of epoxy, then one
minute after mixing going to pick up the container of epoxy - I should say,
the smoking container of epoxy! I used to hate when you'd set the container
down on your boat deck and the epoxy would melt the container and ooze out
all over the place.

Well, I have finally learned that there is an optimal ratio of hardener to
resin. Perhaps much like there is an optimal amount of soundboard area for a
given piano. I still remember the Steinway dealer giving his song-and-dance
regarding the big fat tail of my Boston grand - "bigger soundboard area,
bigger sound". It didn't occur to me at the time if that were really the
case, why don't we see big fat tails on all the Steinways?

Terry Farrell