Environmental tuning mysteries: solved, hopefully

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:17:56 -0500

My main thing with Damp Chasers is that only one surface of the board is =
being treated.  To me, this sets up tension on either side of the board. =
 Just my HO.
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Artisan of Wood
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ilex cameron ross=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 11:41 PM
  Subject: RE: Environmental tuning mysteries: solved, hopefully

  *shrug* i run into it all the time, both the Kawai story (in regards =
to their stability) and the Steinway one (i'm in GA - woohoo what a =
climate! it's rare that at this time of the year i do anything other =
than dropping pitch).=20

  my question i would like to pose is this: does anyone have any =
arguments *against* dampp chasers? as a pianist, i grew up playing a =
little kawai upright that is now 25+ yrs old and still like new - upon =
its first regulation ever (after about 22 or so years), it really didn't =
need anything except an adjustment of the letoff. it holds its tune for =
years on end, both a testament to kawai, as well as to dampp chaser, as =
we have had a full system in the piano since it was purchased, and have =
religiously kept it watered. i ask about arguments against dampp =
chasers, because my current employer has actually been discouraging =
people here from using them, due to the climate. on one hand i can =
understand the point that if people get a full system installed, water =
the piano fairly well for the first few months and then start =
forgetting, it may cause more harm than good. however, i still don't =
really get it. he's also raised points that you don't really need the =
humidifier system here, but that the dehumidifier might overdo it.... =
uhm, it was my impression that the whole "climate CONTROL system" aspect =
included a thermostat that actually sensed when it needed to work? i'm =
not all THAT familiar with dampp chasers, except for my own positive =
experience as a pianist. are there any negatives of using this, or what? =

  thanks,=20
  ilex