Environmental tuning mysteries: solved, hopefully

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:41:38 -0400

*shrug* i run into it all the time, both the Kawai story (in regards to
their stability) and the Steinway one (i'm in GA - woohoo what a climate!
it's rare that at this time of the year i do anything other than dropping
pitch).

my question i would like to pose is this: does anyone have any arguments
*against* dampp chasers? as a pianist, i grew up playing a little kawai
upright that is now 25+ yrs old and still like new - upon its first
regulation ever (after about 22 or so years), it really didn't need anything
except an adjustment of the letoff. it holds its tune for years on end, both
a testament to kawai, as well as to dampp chaser, as we have had a full
system in the piano since it was purchased, and have religiously kept it
watered. i ask about arguments against dampp chasers, because my current
employer has actually been discouraging people here from using them, due to
the climate. on one hand i can understand the point that if people get a
full system installed, water the piano fairly well for the first few months
and then start forgetting, it may cause more harm than good. however, i
still don't really get it. he's also raised points that you don't really
need the humidifier system here, but that the dehumidifier might overdo
it.... uhm, it was my impression that the whole "climate CONTROL system"
aspect included a thermostat that actually sensed when it needed to work?
i'm not all THAT familiar with dampp chasers, except for my own positive
experience as a pianist. are there any negatives of using this, or what?

thanks,
ilex