String challenge

TLJ chief_retired@pacinfo.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:42:32 -0700

 I am pretty sure I responded to your infomative reply to my question, =
but just in case I want to make sure so am writing again.  Bear with me =
please.

I also suspect that the strings have nicks or indentations in them. the =
piano was about 10 cents flat. It had been moved from Calif to Ore =
within the last couple of months.

Is there any solution to this other than restringing?  Any suggestions =
or additional info will be heartily welcomed.

Terry Jack
Eugene Oregon Chapt
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 8:18 PM
  Subject: Re: String challenge

  I tuned a Baldwin H grand the other day with a similar problem.  The =
piano hadn't been tuned for years, and was 30-50 cents flat.  I wasn't =
having a problem with getting the string to move(solved pretty nicely by =
Protek, in my experience), but I was having a hard time moving the =
string to stay where it was supposed to in many cases.  I'd get close, =
then "pop!"  It would move up above or below pitch.  I suspect that the =
strings have small indentations, nicks, or bends in all the wrong places =
as a result of being so far flat.  =20

  Could this be the case with your Schimmel?  Did it require a =
significant pitch raise?=20

  Dave Stahl=20

  In a message dated 9/15/04 6:30:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =
kam544@gbronline.com writes:=20

    At 4:52 PM -0700 9/15/04, TLJ wrote:=20
    >... This is probably a very simple issue but I am at a total loss.  =
Any=20
    >suggestions will be appreciated.=20

    Rendering strings is never a simple issue on pianos that have=20
    exaggerated string deflection. By rendering I am speaking of=20
    equalizing the tension in all segments of the strings.=20

    I doubt the agraffes are necessarily your culprits in this matter=20
    though, but rather the felt between the agraffes and the tuning =
pins.=20
    Of course all the bearing points add to the overall difficulty.=20

    I tune a couple of M&A BBs' with incredible deflection in that area, =

    and it creates definite uncertainty in establishing stability,=20
    especially when a pitch change is required.=20

    There are some pianos a person just has to work at tuning, and there =

    are some where the response of rendering and pin setting is a=20
    marvelous experience.=20