Drill press

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:44:54 -0400

--============_-1116816196==_ma============
At 11:51 AM -0500 9/15/04, Richard Oliver Snelson wrote:
>I have the Jet mortising drill on a heavy steel plate that is hinged=20
>to raise and lower up to 10 degrees. By reversing the drill it=20
>extends out from the base and can easily reach the full block area=20
>in its pivot. I don't have it on any sort of air float, but that=20
>could be easily done.

Here's my set-up (along with the pneumatic feed I made back in March=20
after seeing the picture of John Hartman's). The head belongs to my=20
32-year-old Sears floor model.  I found a short column, some sort of=20
tube stock left over at a machinist's from some by-gone project. I=20
had a friend who was working for me at the time, make a base out of=20
marine maple pinblock stock (including the reinforcing collar). The=20
7=BA angle is permanent. (When I get ready to bore a block, I simply=20
pull the head off the original column and plunk it on the new one.)=20
The block rides on maple scraps with 1" roller bearing attached to=20
their underside, three per piece.

The block rolls around freely on these large ball bearings. There are=20
shims between the bearing and the scraps to set the underside of the=20
block a bare 10 mils above the "table" portion of the drill press,=20
(actually a piece of maple scrap to throw away after it has had too=20
many holes drilled in it). This way, it is free-floating while you're=20
positioning it, and locked in solid contact with the "table" as soon=20
as the drill bit touches it. (Actually you can close the 10 mil gap=20
with your elbow.)

(I donn'nid no steenkin x/y positioning track!.......) BTW, I think=20
there's something wrong with this picture. The piano came out fine,=20
however.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: drillcyl2.jpg