west system in blocks

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:38:33 EDT

Greetings,
    I had hoped to never have to do this, but the owner's father died, she
had to move the 1953 Steinway B out of Florida, NOW,  and it was unplayable with
the rusted strings.  I laid out all the alternatives, etc,  and she said that
just restringing it was all she was able to do at the moment. Action will be
brassy, but it does play.
   So,  as I unstrung this thing,  I kept finding bent pins.  Now that I am
restringing it, I find that 4/0 pins are only giving me 80 in/lbs in places, so
I worry.  Have done some CA dosing on the looser ones and it helped, but
before I put the bass strings in,  I wondered,  what is the long term prognosis of
the use of swabbing the West System resin compound I read about here last
year.  Has anyone seen this hold up for a length of time?  And, how much did you
use?
Thanks,

Ed Foote RPT