ringing strings

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:25:12 -0400

  ----- -----=20
  From: Jonathan Stuchell=20
  Subject: ringing strings

  I reinstalled an upright action, and now the strings ring.  Most of =
the dampers are seated well.  Should I take the action out and bend the =
damper wires?
     =20
  Jonathan,
      More info required here.
      Did you replace the damper felt ?
      Did you regulate the action?
      Is the pedal out of adjustment?
      Are the spoons contacting the damper levers?
      Did the strings ring before you took the action out?
      Are you a piano technician?
     =20
      Respectfully, you are asking for a simple solution to a condition =
for which there are many possible causes.
      I'm not bashing you here, but in my opinion your question tells me =
that you may not understand the basic function of a vertical action =
.I'll suggest acquiring the Journal on CD . You will find many fine =
articles on damper regulation and replacement.
      Meet us halfway and you'll be off and running.
      Best of luck,
      Tom Driscoll RPT=20