ringing strings

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:34:00 -0700

Push the strings to ensure that the dampers follow. If they don't, that is
the signal to bend the damper wires. If they do, maybe it's the spring
tension?
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Tom Driscoll
  Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 8:25 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: ringing strings

    ----- -----
    From: Jonathan Stuchell
    Subject: ringing strings

    I reinstalled an upright action, and now the strings ring.  Most of the
dampers are seated well.  Should I take the action out and bend the damper
wires?

    Jonathan,
        More info required here.
        Did you replace the damper felt ?
        Did you regulate the action?
        Is the pedal out of adjustment?
        Are the spoons contacting the damper levers?
        Did the strings ring before you took the action out?
        Are you a piano technician?

        Respectfully, you are asking for a simple solution to a condition
for which there are many possible causes.
        I'm not bashing you here, but in my opinion your question tells me
that you may not understand the basic function of a vertical action .I'll
suggest acquiring the Journal on CD . You will find many fine articles on
damper regulation and replacement.
        Meet us halfway and you'll be off and running.
        Best of luck,
        Tom Driscoll RPT