Water stain

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:06:55 -0500

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of daniel sicardi
  Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 10:39 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Water stain

  There has got to be lots of people out there with more experience in
dealing with this "common" issue than I have.
  I have a Walnut Console piano.  The piano is a Kimball. It is about 30
years old and in perfect perfect perfect mechanical condition. It sounds
great with very little wear. It has a water stain that went completely
through the protective polyvarithaine or whatever was used to protect the
piano.
  There was so little left of the protective coat, that it only took a few
minutes to remove it completely from the top of the instrument.
  I used various gauges of sandpaper and removed the water stain from the
left side of the instrument almost completely. I have not been so lucky with
the right side. I have even used a belt sander which has reduced the water
stain a bit but not completely. I applied good furniture polish to the
entire piano. It sparkles.
  I still have a bump (not a depression) where the original owner's ficus
once stood.
  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to deal with this
minor annoyance.
  I figured you pros might have had experience with heat guns or something
of a different nature to deal with this issue.
  Danny

  Daniel
  The raised area indicates the core has absorbed moisture and swelled,
never to shrink again because it is made out of particle board.  The stains
sound like mineral stains-very difficult to remove.  As a rule, we simply
strip and level the panel, then re-veneer it and stain and color to match.
Veneer is available with a pressure sensitive adhesive ( PSA ) on it.  All
you need to do is peel off the backing and stick it down, it will NOT come
off.  Rockwell is one company that comes to mind.  They have a website.

  Paul C