Water stain

daniel sicardi tcscotch@comcast.net
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:26:41 -0400

Thanks a lot Paul. Are you sure that the top of this piano is made out =
of veneer and particle board. The reason that I am asking is because the =
piece is pretty heavy. I have a lot of experience dealing with particle =
board. Usually I just throw it away and get a piece of lumber. That =
would mean that the top of the console was a sandwich with veneer on =
both sides. That seems to be pretty expensive! I guess solid Walnut was =
expensive in 1976 too!The Bottom side has those Chicago World's Fair =
Decals that Kimball had used for so long. I thought that heat (like from =
a heat gun or even an iron would cause the area to contract. (Of course =
you have to be real careful not to scorch the work area)
I will check out Rockwell...... Thank You
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Paul Chick (Earthlink)=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2004 10:06 AM
  Subject: RE: Water stain

    -----Original Message-----
    From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On =
Behalf Of daniel sicardi
    Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 10:39 AM
    To: Pianotech
    Subject: Water stain

    There has got to be lots of people out there with more experience in =
dealing with this "common" issue than I have.
    I have a Walnut Console piano.  The piano is a Kimball. It is about =
30 years old and in perfect perfect perfect mechanical condition. It =
sounds great with very little wear. It has a water stain that went =
completely through the protective polyvarithaine or whatever was used to =
protect the piano.
    There was so little left of the protective coat, that it only took a =
few minutes to remove it completely from the top of the instrument.
    I used various gauges of sandpaper and removed the water stain from =
the left side of the instrument almost completely. I have not been so =
lucky with the right side. I have even used a belt sander which has =
reduced the water stain a bit but not completely. I applied good =
furniture polish to the entire piano. It sparkles.
    I still have a bump (not a depression) where the original owner's =
ficus once stood.=20
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to deal with =
this minor annoyance.
    I figured you pros might have had experience with heat guns or =
something of a different nature to deal with this issue.
    Danny

    Daniel
    The raised area indicates the core has absorbed moisture and =
swelled, never to shrink again because it is made out of particle board. =
 The stains sound like mineral stains-very difficult to remove.  As a =
rule, we simply strip and level the panel, then re-veneer it and stain =
and color to match.  Veneer is available with a pressure sensitive =
adhesive ( PSA ) on it.  All you need to do is peel off the backing and =
stick it down, it will NOT come off.  Rockwell is one company that comes =
to mind.  They have a website.

    Paul C