Water stain

daniel sicardi tcscotch@comcast.net
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:38:40 -0400

There has got to be lots of people out there with more experience in =
dealing with this "common" issue than I have.
I have a Walnut Console piano.  The piano is a Kimball. It is about 30 =
years old and in perfect perfect perfect mechanical condition. It sounds =
great with very little wear. It has a water stain that went completely =
through the protective polyvarithaine or whatever was used to protect =
the piano.
There was so little left of the protective coat, that it only took a few =
minutes to remove it completely from the top of the instrument.
I used various gauges of sandpaper and removed the water stain from the =
left side of the instrument almost completely. I have not been so lucky =
with the right side. I have even used a belt sander which has reduced =
the water stain a bit but not completely. I applied good furniture =
polish to the entire piano. It sparkles.
I still have a bump (not a depression) where the original owner's ficus =
once stood.=20
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to deal with =
this minor annoyance.
I figured you pros might have had experience with heat guns or something =
of a different nature to deal with this issue.
Danny