Hammer travel experiment

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:25:55 -0500

Indeed, we replace a lot of upright actions completely.  I also put on
dampers first, set them put on hammer butts, travel them with shanks pressed
into the holes.  The shanks are then removed and glued into the hammers.
Then hammers are installed while the action is in the piano.  Then the
wippens are installed.  It works best for me.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com

Put the worlds greatest healer to work for WHATEVER health problem you may
have----YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is capable of healing EVERY
disease if you give it the right fuel.  Visit
http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get the right fuel.
Also www.glycoscience.org
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Thomas Cole [mailto:tcole@cruzio.com]
  Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 11:35 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Hammer travel experiment

  Julia,

  Sounds good. Nothing wrong with making your job easier. I like to start
with installing dampers only at first, getting the damper heads aligned to
the strings and damper felt installed before putting in the hammers.

  Tom Cole

  Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

    Greetings,

                          I am working on my old upright, whom I call
"Becky" she's all apart hammer/butts and sticker type wippens; all out for
new leather, felts etc.(not new hammers, though)

                          My experiment is that I am putting the action back
in the piano without it's wippen/stickers and I am going to travel and
square the hammers, FIRST, one, by one, as I put them back in, before the
wippen mechanisms go in. Then I am going to take the action back out and put
in the wippens.

                    I figure the hammers will be squared and travelled much
easier this way,  as opposed to putting everything back on the action  THEN,
having to take certain hammers/butt out, in order to do travel & squaring
and having to work with the wippens' jacks and stuff in the way. I think its
a good idea. Could there be something wrong with this? Is there something I
didn't think of?

    Julia Gottchall,
    Reading, PA