heavy touch

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:22:01 EDT

Greeetings,

             The heavy touch could be due to the damper lift spoons being
adjusted/bent  so far backwards that the damper lever spring's resistance
(simply: the weight of the damper)  is actually transferred to the key's feel via the
wippen and this is interpreted as heavy touch. One way to determine if this
condition present, is to observe the damper. Depressing a key, the damper will
lift almost immediately/simultaneously with the raising of the hammer off the
rest rail, and it will lift too far, too soon.  The correctly adjusted spoon
will cause the damper to be fully lifted off the string when the hammer is 1/3
to 1/2 the distance from its resting position off the hammer rest rail.

          Remember, the further backward that spooon is adjusted, the sooner
it comes in contact with the damper lever when whippen is lifted by key
depression. This could be whats causing the heavy feel. (It could also be a bit of
corrosion on the back of the spoons' bowls, snagging/dragging on the damper
lever felt causing resistance.)

          If the spoons are maladjusted, no amount of playing will return
them to their correct position. I would investigate the history of the piano to
find out if the previous owner possibly had the spoons adjusted purposely, to
create a heavy touch. I, personally, prefer a bit of a heavy touch and have my
spoons back an eensy weeensy bit further than spec would have them or where
they "should" be.

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA