New Bass Strings on Old Wurlitzer Baby Grand

Rick Bazemore tunericks@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 07:28:36 -0700 (PDT)

Terry,

Thanks for the response.  Comparatively speaking, I am a beginner in this field with stronger tuning skills and lesser repair experience.  I have Reblitz and do find him to be an great resource.  However, I have also found that there can be a lot to be gained from asking even elemental questions from the more experienced techs on the list before going into a job that I am not familiar with.  If nothing else, it helps to boost my confidence level which also puts the client a little more at ease while working in their home.

I see you are located in Tampa - hope you were able to ride out Charley/Francis without too much trauma.

Rick

Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
Hi Rick,

Your questions are at a basic level (don't take that as a criticism - good thing you are asking!). I would suggest getting a reputable instructional publication such as Reblitz. Such a book covers the basics pretty well and will address most if not all your questions (and will have pictures, etc.).

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com
----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Bazemore
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 8:50 AM
Subject: New Bass Strings on Old Wurlitzer Baby Grand

List,

I am about to do this job for the first time and have the following questions:

1.  Should I relieve tension on treble strings before removing bass strings?

2.  After relieving tension on bass strings, can I cut them with wire cutters close to tuning pins or is the whole string needed as a model when I send the old set in?

3.  What criteria can I go by in deciding whether or not to go up to the next tuning pin size?

4.  Suggested procedure for both removal of old and replacement of new strings?

5.  Where can I find the serial number on an old Wurlizter grand?

6.  Is there a coiling tool worth buying that will make the job easier?

7.  Any other comments related to the job.

Thanks,
Rick Bazemore