New Bass Strings on Old Wurlitzer Baby Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:01:27 -0400

Hi Rick,

Your questions are at a basic level (don't take that as a criticism - =
good thing you are asking!). I would suggest getting a reputable =
instructional publication such as Reblitz. Such a book covers the basics =
pretty well and will address most if not all your questions (and will =
have pictures, etc.).

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rick Bazemore=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 8:50 AM
  Subject: New Bass Strings on Old Wurlitzer Baby Grand

  List,

  I am about to do this job for the first time and have the following =
questions:

  1.  Should I relieve tension on treble strings before removing bass =
strings?

  2.  After relieving tension on bass strings, can I cut them with wire =
cutters close to tuning pins or is the whole string needed as a model =
when I send the old set in?

  3.  What criteria can I go by in deciding whether or not to go up to =
the next tuning pin size?

  4.  Suggested procedure for both removal of old and replacement of new =
strings?

  5.  Where can I find the serial number on an old Wurlizter grand?

  6.  Is there a coiling tool worth buying that will make the job =
easier?

  7.  Any other comments related to the job.

  Thanks,
  Rick Bazemore