New Bass Strings on Old Wurlitzer Baby Grand

Rick Bazemore tunericks@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 05:50:51 -0700 (PDT)

List,

I am about to do this job for the first time and have the following questions:

1.  Should I relieve tension on treble strings before removing bass strings?

2.  After relieving tension on bass strings, can I cut them with wire cutters close to tuning pins or is the whole string needed as a model when I send the old set in?

3.  What criteria can I go by in deciding whether or not to go up to the next tuning pin size?

4.  Suggested procedure for both removal of old and replacement of new strings?

5.  Where can I find the serial number on an old Wurlizter grand?

6.  Is there a coiling tool worth buying that will make the job easier?

7.  Any other comments related to the job.

Thanks,
Rick Bazemore