An odd situation

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:46:09 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/2004 1:33:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
  Ric
  Good analysis. The short answer is your leverage is too  good.
   Now I thought 48 mmm was standard spec for blow  on most of Yamaha grands.
I would set letoff closer as you did to  consume some dip/aftertouch.
   Beyond this I suspect capstan  placement could be too far back or perhaps
a slight adjustment of the  action spread would change the action key ratio
enough to bring it back into  tolerance. This is fairly unusual for Yamaha. With
all their jigs & fixtures  to assure uniformity action to action. This is odd.
   I don't like actions set up this way as the  overall touch weight usual
ends up heavy as is the typical problem with Baldwin.
 Are the knuckles perhaps to close to the center pin?  This would also
contribute to the problem. It could be one or more contributing  factors but with
Yamaha a compounding series of errors would be likely, Don't  you think?
 Dale

So... in  the end.. I had 48+ mm blow, standard Yamaha spec letoff and
drop, 10 mm  dip,  64 mm key height and too much aftertouch with no real
way of  getting less.  Ok.. I could have fudged a bit on let off... but a
few  tests didnt really get me where I wanted... I would have had to go
with  about 2 mm in the bass... 1 mm in the treble, and a 9.5 key dip to
get the  aftertouch down to where I usually like it... which is by no
means too  little.

Anyone got an idea as to what could be wrong here  ??

Cheer
RicB