Joke -- OTOT

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:58:33 -0700

Hubert,

At 09:04 AM 9/3/2004, you wrote:
>AH.. Yes...Victor Borge!
>
>One of the 4 greatest Musician Humorsts of the last century. The other 3
>are..Anna Russell, Pete Barbudi, and Florence Foster Jenkins. We can
>change the numbers if one wants to add Steve Allen, Milton and Sid..
>:-)  Send in the votes.

Long ago, in a galaxy (now very) far, far away, my parting gift to an
employer was the outgoing message on my office phone:

"You have reached the office of the piano technicians at the Florence
Foster Jenkins School of Music at <name withheld>".

Oddly enough, it was a raging success with literally everyone except the
Dean, who was not amused...but, then, neither was I.

I remember going to Anna Russell concerts in Pasadena (CA) as a
kid...particularly her incredible Ring Cycle (in, what was it, 12
minutes?)...in one iteration, she appeared as Brunhilde...riding a tricycle
onto the stage...while in full costume.

Pete Barbudi is a name one truly seldom hears any more...sad to say.

Interesting that you would mention Sid Caesar.  Truly brilliant...in recent
years there was a tribute to him that aired mostly, I think, on PBS, in
which they found all/most of the surviving writers from the Show of
Shows.  In one memorable set of exchanges, the topic of what had happened
to television came up; and, Mel Brooks offered something that is, I think
worth thinking about in other arenas of entertainment and culture
(generally) as well, when he said (words to the effect that):

"What people forget is that, in the early days of television, the audience
was very different.  TVs were expensive...not cheap like they are now; and
the people who bought them were, demographically, much better educated -
(the average being at least a basic BA/Bs, with many in the MA/MS category)
- so, those of us who were writing and acting could do so from a position
of assuming certain kinds of cultural and experiential knowledge. Now days,
TVs have become so cheap that most houses have at least one, if not
more.  More importantly, the average educational level of the average
viewer is much, much lower...something on the order of 7th or 8th
grade...so, you cannot assume the same level of education or
experience...."  (Actually, according to fairly recent surveys the average
educational level in the U.S. is now down to about 6th grade - hg.)

The conversation went on; but those were/are the central remarks.  I think
that these remarks are also reflective of what has happened at a much
broader cultural level, as well.  Rather than evolving as tools to elevate,
cultural reflections (such as TV, music, films, etc) have taken the
lowest-common-denominator approach.  Thus, the number of folks who can
appreciate things like Anna or Florence, or any number of other things goes
down  both as to real numbers and as to percentage of population.

hmmm....well...anyway, it's Friday...and, my name's not Crusoe...so, it
must be time to leave.

Best.

Horace