WHere's Waldo

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:21:33 -0700

Re: [Files] WHere's Waldo (was Big hammers) (Modified bySorry, it is in =
fact the bass end of the long bridge.

It's a 4'9" grand manufactured in 1924. Supposedly wasn't tuned for 20 =
years, though it seems to have had a new set of hammers since then - =
hard for me to imagine a tech replacing the hammers but not tuning the =
piano. Action was seriously stiff - not even one swing per hammer. I =
treated this with center pin lubricant and freed them up to become =
playable. Old style wippens as recently described here on another =
Brambach. Six of the letoff buttons have their eye screws broken off. =
It's a family heirloom that only visiting guests play.=20

My assessment was to do absolutely minimal work to get it to sound and =
feel somewhat like a piano. They're happy. But that bridge bothers me.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 12:42 PM
  Subject: Re: WHere's Waldo

  If this is a low end older piano, I agree - leave it alone and monitor =
(for increased cracking and tuning stability) - it may stay that way for =
decades. However, this IS a very odd looking low end of a bass bridge! =
Can I assume this is the bass end of the long bridge?

  What kind of piano is this? Age? Overall condition? And who's Waldo, =
let alone where?

  Terry Farrell