Fwd: Big hammers

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:18:29 -0700

Hi,

In exchanging EMs with Kent Swafford, it turns out that my posts were
exceeding the 128Kb limit (as to size) that the list server filters have in
place.

I suggest that, rather than embedding picture/drawings in the body of an
EM, that they be sent as attachments.  The attachments are easily kept with
doing this means that the content will not be duplicated - which is what
happened with the response I tried to post.

I do realize that embedding is/can be somewhat easier in original
composition of a post; and that opening attachments often means having
another application launch, which can slow things down.

On the other hand, keeping things as attachments means that the original
pictures/illustrations can be kept right along with the conversational
thread;  and, perhaps, more easily referred to.

Hand-in-glove with this suggestion is a request to put meaningful titles on
pictures and documents sent with EMs.  Having all this stuff is really
wonderful.  Having it stored in a way that would make things more easily
identifiable would be even better.

Thanks for listening.

Best to all.

Horace