Sharp Treble: was RE: OT: Is this still a piano oriented list or what?

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:09:05 -0700

I may simply be a difference of tuning style.  Some tuners tune wider
octaves which will result in sharper treble.  I found that when I was
tuning aurally I tended to tune with less stretch than ETD's often
program.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

PIANO TOPIC -
Why do I often find myself correcting over-sharp high treble on pianos
someone else has tuned? I know by the time you get to the last 1-2
octaves, they're going to be sharpish if you've correctly stretched your
octaves, but even so, I'm still bringing it down. Is the high treble
more inclined to go super-sharp with humidity due to the short scale, or
am I legitimately cleaning up after over-compensation?
How do you aural tuners out there make out your octaves in that highest
treble zone? Can you describe what you're hearing? I know that for me, I
am listening with a tuner's ear and checking with a musician's ear at
that point. How about you?

-ilex