Sharp Treble: was RE: OT: Is this still a piano oriented list orwhat?

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:42:07 -0400

As soon as I can, I plan on getting my hands on a pocket-pc oriented ETD,
not to quit aural tuning, but to find that happy medium and correct
inconsistencies between the two styles.
-ilex
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of David Love
  Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 8:09 PM
  To: 'Pianotech'
  Subject: Sharp Treble: was RE: OT: Is this still a piano oriented list
orwhat?

  I may simply be a difference of tuning style.  Some tuners tune wider
octaves which will result in sharper treble.  I found that when I was tuning
aurally I tended to tune with less stretch than ETD’s often program.

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@comcast.net

  PIANO TOPIC -

  Why do I often find myself correcting over-sharp high treble on pianos
someone else has tuned? I know by the time you get to the last 1-2 octaves,
they're going to be sharpish if you've correctly stretched your octaves, but
even so, I'm still bringing it down. Is the high treble more inclined to go
super-sharp with humidity due to the short scale, or am I legitimately
cleaning up after over-compensation?

  How do you aural tuners out there make out your octaves in that highest
treble zone? Can you describe what you're hearing? I know that for me, I am
listening with a tuner's ear and checking with a musician's ear at that
point. How about you?

  -ilex