OT Political - {my last word}

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:53:41 -0700

Conrad:

I do not trust most websites at all and that's where most of this
rumormongering comes from.  The internet is replete with all kinds of
garbage--remember the Clintons murdering Vince Foster?  I have read
Kerry's testimony and if you read it in full, not just the excerpts used
by the Swift Boat Vets, it makes more sense in context.  I think what he
did was important in bringing to light the horrors of an illegal war.
It was certainly important enough for Nixon to try and use his dirty
tricks team to destroy Kerry--that alone gives him credibility in my
eyes.  By the way, all of these ridiculous claims don't seem to have
hurt his relationship with John McCain.

The following was published on factcheck.org as it researched the claims
Kerrys alleged traitorous behavior.  Also recall that Kerry's testimony
came several years after My Lai and one month after the conviction of
Lt. Calley.  While the treatment of Vietnam Vets by the American public
was regrettable and undeserved, you can hardly blame Kerry for that.
Attitudes about the war were already well established by then.:

...And since Kerry testified, ample evidence of other atrocities has
come to light:

Son Thang: In 1998, for example, Marine Corps veteran Gary D. Solis
published the book Son Thang: An American War Crime describing the
court-martial of four US Marines for the apparently unprovoked killing
16 women and children on the night of February 19, 1970 in a hamlet
about 20 miles south of Danang. The four Marines testified that they
were under orders by their patrol leader to shoot the villagers. A young
Oliver North appeared as a character witness and helped acquit the
leader of all charges, but three were convicted.

Tiger Force:  The Toledo Blade won a Pulitzer Prize this year for a
series published in October, 2003 reporting that atrocities were
committed by an elite US Army "Tiger Force" unit that the Blade said
killed unarmed civilians and children during a seven-month rampage in
1967. "Elderly farmers were shot as they toiled in the fields. Prisoners
were tortured and executed - their ears and scalps severed for
souvenirs. One soldier kicked out the teeth of executed civilians for
their gold fillings," the Blade reported. "Investigators concluded that
18 soldiers committed war crimes ranging from murder and assault to
dereliction of duty. But no one was charged."

"Hundreds" of others: In December 2003 The New York Times quoted
Nicholas Turse, a doctoral candidate at Columbia University who has been
studying government archives, as saying the records are filled with
accounts of atrocities similar to those described by the Toledo Blade
series. "I stumbled across the incidents The Blade reported," Turse was
quoted as saying. "I read through that case a year, year and a half ago,
and it really didn't stand out. There was nothing that made it stand out
from anything else. That's the scary thing. It was just one of
hundreds."
"Exact Same Stories": Keith Nolan, author of 10 published books on
Vietnam, says he's heard many veterans describe atrocities just like
those Kerry recounted from the Winter Soldier event. Nolan told
FactCheck.org that since 1978 he's interviewed roughly 1,000 veterans in
depth for his books, and spoken to thousands of others. "I have heard
the exact same stories dozens if not hundreds of times over," he said.
"Wars produce atrocities.  Frustrating guerrilla wars produce a
particularly horrific number of atrocities.  That some individual
soldiers and certain units responded with excessive brutality in Vietnam
shouldn't really surprise anyone."