Driving Tuning Pins?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:24:54 -0400

Yeah but, if the piano is likely only going to work a short time, then =
maybe not so bad an idea after all. Seems like there is some symmetry =
there.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 8:56 PM
  Subject: Re: Driving Tuning Pins?

  Hey youse guys! You're advocating Driving the pins on this piano, =
before knowing what kind of piano it is!!!!!! There are some pianos, =
that have a plate configuration that requires the tuning pin to be quite =
high, by most standards we see! If you drive the pins, (too deep), on =
this kind of a piano, you will cause excess string angle which could =
cause string breakage!
  You all should be aware of the fact that the TOP of the Pinblock is =
the area that needs to be tight in order to give sufficient pin =
torque/feel. NOT the bottom of the hole! Driving pins is like the olde =
Pin Dope....it works for a short time only, in my experience!
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I