Vertical Damper Lift Rail

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:55:04 -0300

Hi Terry,
I am surprised, you were able to get a good bond with the epoxy, on the metal to metal. I thought epoxy needed some roughness?
I usually solder, although, I think siver solder would be better.
Kawai, will send you the pins, after the first one, I got some spares. As to be expected, non have gone since.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 6:42 PM
  Subject: Vertical Damper Lift Rail

  I repaired a vertical damper lift rail the other day. Typical thing where one of three little steel L-shaped hookies that pivots in a flange broke off. I just made the appointment to re-install the rail and the guy asked me what the charge was. I told him. He didn't sound happy at all. I am expecting..... shall we say a difference of opinions? My question (before I tell what my charge is/was) is how much time would you charge at your normal hourly rate for such a repair?

  I'm in Florida and rates are pretty consistent here with most of the mid-west. I typically charge $60 an hour for on-site service work and $50 an hour for shop work. And I think I gave him a good deal actually.......

  The piano is a recent model Kawai.

  The tasks I had to do:
  1 - diagnose problem (pretty fast on that one)
  2 - remove action
  3 - remove damper rail
  4 - replace action
  (I tuned the piano at this first visit - so no need to charge for a service call specifically to remove the damper rail.)
  5 - repair rail (make new L-shaped pin, drill hole in rod, epoxy pin in place)
  6 - service call to remove action, install rail, re-install action (25-mile round trip - I wasn't scheduled to go out that way for two weeks and the girl that plays the piano is active on the piano and so she wanted it back together ASAP - so this was a special service call to that area.)

  Thanks for any input.

  Terry Farrell