Epoxy on soundboards..

Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:00:00 +0100

Joe Garrett wrote:

> Dale E. said:"I'd say the Bechstein had other problems,.hey there are  so
> many to choose from. i.e. old board, bearing etc.
>    BTW UV doesn't have to be direct contact to cause a finish to  fade or
> degrade.
>   Besides Europeans don't believe in replacing soundboards. It would
> remove
> the magic tone wood. (grin.)  Conrad. I need a really good Flamesuit "

Where did you get that idea ?? I know folks down on the Cont that
replace on a regular basis.  A lot of nordic rebuilders hedge from it,
citing economics etc... I have to wonder. A well equipped shop, good
tools, and routines worked out... cant be any less cost effective then
your quicko shim and refinish job that leaves the piano sounding sad eh
??..

I think tho.. that there are a few woodworking skills many shops feel
inhibited by... like making a bridge.. the whole <<new soundboard>> task
probably seems more daunting then it really is.  I've stumbled through 2
old square grands now... just to get my feet a bit moist.... and I
actually believe I could do a modern grand if I put myself to it.

But its not tradition here.  The magic tone bit is just the excuse me
thinks.  That said... I do like the idea of using old panels and rib
crowning them anew.

Cheers
RicB