spoon bender

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:16:22 -0400

Actually, I've had the same problem. I ordered mine from Schaff for the
comb-handle. Not pleased. I guess you get what you pay for!
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Alpha88x@aol.com
  Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 3:02 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: spoon bender

  In a message dated 10/18/2004 4:46:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:

    How the heck did you bend a spoon bending tool?

  Greetings,

                Well... I think that the very first piano I used it on, had
really hard spoons, which may have initially weakened the tool early in it's
life.

              After that....it sort of got gradually weaker. The spoons in
100+ year old pianos seem very hard, for some reason.  I think the integrity
of the tool was further compromised with each sucessive old piano with hard
spoons that I worked on.

               One day, I went to bend spoons, I could feel something
bending (satisfying feeling to think you're adjusting/correcting) but when I
removed the tool and checked the amount of ...damper lift etc...I noticed no
change in adjustment.

                The bender wasn't doing it's job AT ALL, even though I had
the thing right at the base of the spoon!   Then, I puzzlingly, looked at
the tool and to my dismay, noticed that IT was bent.  (Can you just picture
this?...whenever I look like this, my sister asks, "Did you do another Lucy
Ricardo") How un-nerving that was. I felt so out of control.

  Julia,
  Reading, PA