spoon bender

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:01:34 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/2004 4:46:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:

> How the heck did you bend a spoon bending tool?

Greetings,

              Well... I think that the very first piano I used it on, had
really hard spoons, which may have initially weakened the tool early in it's
life.

            After that....it sort of got gradually weaker. The spoons in 100+
year old pianos seem very hard, for some reason.  I think the integrity of
the tool was further compromised with each sucessive old piano with hard spoons
that I worked on.

             One day, I went to bend spoons, I could feel something bending
(satisfying feeling to think you're adjusting/correcting) but when I removed
the tool and checked the amount of ...damper lift etc...I noticed no change in
adjustment.

              The bender wasn't doing it's job AT ALL, even though I had the
thing right at the base of the spoon!   Then, I puzzlingly, looked at the tool
and to my dismay, noticed that IT was bent.  (Can you just picture
this?...whenever I look like this, my sister asks, "Did you do another Lucy Ricardo")
How un-nerving that was. I felt so out of control.

Julia,
Reading, PA