Setting Rates

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:06:59 -0700

My tuning fee includes some travel time.   Shop work is done when=
 I'm home.   I set an hourly shop fee minus the travel.

David I.

From: Dean May <deanmay@pianorebuilders.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Setting Rates

My philosophy is that procedures, like tuning, should earn one=
 more money than standard hourly shop work. It is the way most=
 every other profession charges. An ob doctor has a set fee for=
 delivering a baby. It matters not if you labor one hour or=
 twenty. It doesn=92t matter if you go one month early and don=92t=92=
 get the final four office visits, either. For us, as we perfect=
 our techniques and time required goes down, our rates should not=
 go down, they should go up, if anything. The customer is getting=
 a more experienced tuner/technician, and our rates should=
 reflect that.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272