Stuart

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:46:23 +0100

Carl Meyer wrote:

>So, how is that different than my 20's Sohmer?  Mine has agraffes on the
>long bridge only and standard bridge pins for the top two octaves.  I wanted
>to use wound strings on the first 6 notes above the break so I had to
>enlarge the agraffe holes a bit.  I hardly think an agraffe should be
>considered a clamp.

Well Geezzze Louizzzz there Carl..... hehe... I didnt take any
particular standpoint as to any of this... just pointed out that the guy
who wrote the article must have been refering to the agraffes when he
mentioned string clamps.  Course you can always drop him a line and give
him a piece of your mind if you think he shoulda used another term... grin.

>I have long thought about bridge termination and will soon have a prototype
>of a novel approach.  To spare myself from embarrassment I'll not describe
>it until I try it out.

Thats a great idea !!

I've been dinking around with an idea as well... Notched straight up
bridge pins with a half round brass on the bridge between each set of
bridge pins. A bit similiar to the present bridge pin aproach, except
the bridge pins hold the strings off off the bridge. The string plane is
deflected upwards by the brass half round insuring string contact with
the bridge. Bridge pins have to be a bit larger in diameter then
standards.  I have a few experiements running now on some old beaters...
and the results are very encouraging.  Another thing I've thought about
is to position the half round at the leading edge of the bridge and the
front bridge pin directly back of it. In both cases the string is always
well off the bridge itself... bridge pins are used to <<clamp>> the
string onto the half round.

>Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
>Santa Clara, Ca.

Cheers Carl