damp-rack & steamer (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:13:37 -0500

[Caught in the filters]

From: "pianolover 88" <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
Date: October 10, 2004 5:53:15 PM CDT
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: damp-rack & steamer

Hello all!

After reading through all the replies to my question regarding "grand
damper felt removal", I fiddled around and came up with a couple cool
ideas. The first is a "compact" damper rack that hold all dampers
easily and securely, and has a built in stand so the damper wires won't
touch the surface below.
The second is a great way to remove damper felt quickly, completely,
and no filing/sanding is required. I place as many as 30 or more (ALL
if container diameter is bigger) dampers in stew pot,  each row
suspended by a couple pieces of coat hanger wire. This leaves about
2-3" of space between the bottom of the pot and the end of the damper
wires. fill pot with about 2" of water and heat just enough to create
continual steam. cover pot and return in 10-15 minutes....most if not
all felts, including red backs will either drop off or can be easily
pulled off clean from the block! Please see the attached pics. Try it,
you'll like it!

Terry Peterson

[Photos at:]

http://tinyurl.com/4elrx