grand damper felt removal

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:06:44 -0400

In this particular case, Yamaha didn't use hide glue for damper felts I'm
quite sure of. The fastest method I've used was to cut the damper felt
leaving the underfelt, and then use wallpaper remover solution with very hot
water. I just brush the solution on until the felts are wet. Then leave it
on for about 15 minutes. I then take the steam approach (slightly damp rag
with iron set on cotton) and just steam away for about 5 seconds. This will
soften the glue and it will peel off leaving a clean surface ready for new
dampers.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Joe Garrett
  Sent: October 10, 2004 1:56 PM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: Re: grand damper felt removal

  Because our modern piano builders choose/chose to use glues that sped up
production, but are next to impossible to remove with conventional means,
(ie.heat, moisture, etc.), the only way I've found that works is brute
force! First, I "peal" the majority of the felt off. Next, I go to my 1"X42"
vertical sander and SAND the remaining felt off, down to bare wood. The main
problem with this, is that you have to be VERY accurate with this technique,
else you'll have head surfaces that are not square with the sides.
  If someone can come up with something less traumatic, I definately would
like to know what it is!
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police